Chippewa Falls – Governor Scott Walker joined Mills Fleet Farm and other community leaders today in celebrating the groundbreaking ceremony for the company’s new distribution center in Chippewa Falls. The new 1.1 million square-foot center will be located in the Lake Wissota Business Park.
“Today’s groundbreaking is the latest example of companies choosing to invest and create jobs in Wisconsin,” Governor Walker said. “Companies like Mills Fleet Farm know Wisconsin is working. Our unemployment rate dropped to 3.2 percent in April, down from 3.4 percent in March. That’s the lowest our unemployment rate has been since February of 2000. Our common-sense reforms have led us here, but there’s still much work to be done. Our budget proposal continues to strengthen Wisconsin’s workforce and economy by investing in top priorities like student success, rewarding work, and accountable government.”
Construction on the new Mills Fleet Farm Distribution Center is expected to near completion by February 2018. The city of Chippewa Falls will contribute $10 million in tax increment financing to the project – $7.3 million in a financing grant, $1.29 million for the land purchase, and $1.41 million for sewer, water, and storm water extensions. The new center represents a $64.8 million investment and Mills Fleet Farm expects to hire 325 full-time employees.
The Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation (WEDC) worked closely with the company as well as county and local officials throughout the site selection process. The site ultimately selected is part of Wisconsin’s Certified Sites Program, which provides assurances that the location is development-ready. WEDC is also continuing discussions with the company regarding possible incentives for the project.
With 37 locations, Mills Fleet Farm has been serving the upper Midwest since 1955. They offer a wide variety of goods, including farm and pet supplies, hunting and fishing products, auto parts, home improvement and living goods, and outdoor and work apparel. Their corporate office is located in Appleton.