Madison – Governor Scott Walker attended the State Capitol Commemorative Commission Centennial Kick-Off Celebration today, where he provided remarks in celebration of the 100th anniversary of the Wisconsin State Capitol building. He also proclaimed today as State Capitol 100th Anniversary Day throughout the state.
“The Wisconsin State Capitol is a powerful symbol of democracy throughout the state,” Governor Walker said. “And with unique features like the ‘Resources of Wisconsin’ mural and ‘Wisconsin’ statue on top of the dome, it’s no wonder this beautiful building was designated a National Historic Landmark in 2001 and continues to attract visitors from around the world every year. I encourage the people of Wisconsin to come tour our impressive State Capitol, and be sure to keep an eye out for special features and events as part of the 100-year celebration.”
In order to organize celebrations marking the 100th anniversary of the Wisconsin State Capitol, the Joint Committee on Legislative Organization established the 100th Anniversary State Capitol Commemorative Commission. Members of this special commission will work together throughout the year, in collaboration with all facets of state government, to honor this milestone and remember the events and people who served Wisconsin over the past ten decades.
100th Anniversary State Capitol Commemorative Commission
- Speaker Robin Vos (R – Rochester), Commission Co-Chair
- Senate President Roger Roth (R – Appleton), Commission Co-Chair
- Cindy Block, Legislative Aid, Designated by Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald (R – Juneau)
- Senate Minority Leader Jennifer Shilling (D – La Crosse)
- Representative Adam Neylon (R – Pewaukee), Designated by Assembly Majority Leader Jim Steineke (R – Kaukauna)
- Assembly Minority Leader Peter Barca (D – Kenosha)
- Chief Justice Patience Roggensack, Wisconsin Supreme Court
- Cindy Torstveit, Administrator, Division of Facilities Management, Governor’s Designee
- Senator Fred Risser (D – Madison), State Capitol and Executive Residence Board
- Ellsworth Brown, Ph.D., Director, Wisconsin Historical Society
- Cate Zeuske, Deputy Secretary, Department of Administration (DOA), Designated by DOA Secretary Scott Neitzel
- Jeff Renk, Senate Chief Clerk, Honorary Member
- Marlin Schneider, Former Representative, Honorary Member
A copy of Governor Walker’s State Capitol 100th Anniversary Day proclamation is attached.